Cheesecake Soufflé

Posted: December 2nd, 2010 | Author: | Filed under: baking, desserts & pastries | 31 Comments »

I love many different types of beautiful, gorgeous, rich cakes. When I am in bakeries, I can’t stop looking at them, not just looking more like “investigating”. The taste, the shapes, the ingredients…YUM!

I used to work at a restaurant/bakery when I was a college student. In my hometown, that place was very famous for its cakes. The cakes amused my eyes everyday. Chocolate cakes, rich cream cakes, pies, cheese cakes…

Today I decided to make “Cheesecake Soufflé”.

UPDATE on Dec 5th
NOTES
[ ingredients for 18cm(about 7in. cake pan) ]
cream cheese 300g (10.6 oz)
sugar 40g (1.4 oz)
sour cream 200ml
vanilla extract 1/2tsp
egg yolk 3
corn starch 50g (1.8 oz)
lemon juice 1 Tbs
egg white 3
sugar 40g (1.4 oz, for meringue)

[ how to do it ]
Pre-heat oven to 320 °F

Making cream cheese mixture
1. Place parchment paper in the cake pan (both bottom and side).
2. Put cream cheese and sugar(40g) in the bowl and mix well.
3. Add sour cream into the mixture and whisk
4. Add egg yolk and mix well
5. Add cornstarch and whisk until the mixture get smooth
6. Add lemon juice and mix, then add vanilla extract and mix.

Making meringue
7. Put the egg white and 1/3 of total amount of sugar in the bowl and start to whip. After the egg white becomes foamy add another 1/3 of sugar and continue whipping. Add the final 1/3 of sugar and continue whipping until meringue becomes stiff and glossy.

8. Add 1/2 of amount of meringue into the cream cheese mixture and mix well.
9. Add the rest of meringue. Mix it gently. (Try NOT to squish the meringue foam.)
10. Pour the mixture into the cake pan. Find a baking tray big enough to put the cake pan inside of it. Pour hot water into the baking tray until it is about 3/4 full, then place the cake pan in it. Place the baking tray with hot water and the cake pan in the oven. Bake it for about 1 hour at 320 °F. (You might need to add extra hot water if the pan starts to dry up. Make sure the cake doesn’t get dry.)

11. Let it cool in the cake pan at least for 4 – 5 hours.

Original recipe is from Seiko Ogawa’s book “Pastries with Cheese”

Cheesecake Soufflé

Cheesecake Soufflé

Cheesecake Soufflé

キレイでオシャレで美味しそうなケーキ・・・たまりませんよね。最近ではケーキ屋さんに行くとじーっと張り付いて見てしまいます。ただ見てるというよりも調査、研究といった感じで。味、形、材料・・・。

学生のころ、街ではそこそこ知れたレストラン兼ケーキ屋でアルバイトをしていたのですが、ケーキのある一角は賑やかな感じがしてちょっとしたウキウキ空間でした。最近のほどオシャレではなかったけど、チョコレートのケーキ、生クリームのケーキ、パイにチーズケーキ・・・。懐かしいなぁ。

今日は定番中の定番チーズスフレにしました。アメリカではNYスタイルが人気なんだろうけど、私はスフレ!

31 Comments on “Cheesecake Soufflé”

1. 1 Amrita said at 1:20 am on December 3rd, 2010:

Gorgeous! Look how happily fluffy the souffle is…and what an ingenious idea to combine cheesecakes and souffles together.

2. 2 ilaamia said at 1:36 am on December 3rd, 2010:

It looks delicious ! Where is the recipe ?

3. 3 Jun said at 4:53 am on December 3rd, 2010:

It looks so soft~
    mind sharing the recipe?

4. 4 anabela pereira said at 5:49 am on December 3rd, 2010:

Delicious, publish the recipe in english , please ;-) anabela

5. 5 Jennifer said at 8:10 am on December 3rd, 2010:

That is one beautiful cheesecake souffle! とても美味しそう!

6. 6 nancysrainbow said at 9:03 am on December 3rd, 2010:

it looks so good! can i have the recipe please??? thank you!

7. 7 fiona said at 9:13 am on December 3rd, 2010:

Your cheesecake looks just stunning. I am a huge fan of Japanese cakes. Would you mind sharing the recipe? Thank you!!!

8. 8 Angela said at 10:16 am on December 3rd, 2010:

Can you post the recipe for this? This looks beautiful! I’d really like to try it. Thanks!

9. 9 Joley said at 11:01 am on December 3rd, 2010:

Yes, please post the recipe! This picture makes my heart skip a beat!

10. 10 Cecilia said at 1:37 pm on December 3rd, 2010:

This looks beautiful! Would you be willing to post a recipe, id love to try it! :)

11. 11 junko said at 6:57 pm on December 3rd, 2010:

Thanks Amrita!
    I don’t see Cheesecake Soufflé that often in the United States. I think people prefer thick and creamy NY style cheesecake. In Japan, Cheesecake Soufflé is very popular and we see it almost every bakery.

12. 12 junko said at 6:59 pm on December 3rd, 2010:

Hi ilaamia. Thank you. I will post the recipe soon.

13. 13 junko said at 7:01 pm on December 3rd, 2010:

Thanks Jun! Wow, your name also Jun! Some of my friends call me Jun. Anyway, I will post the recipe very soon.

14. 14 junko said at 7:08 pm on December 3rd, 2010:

Hi anabela! Thank you. I will update and post the recipe soon.

15. 15 junko said at 7:10 pm on December 3rd, 2010:

Hi Jennifer! ありがとう〜!

16. 16 junko said at 7:13 pm on December 3rd, 2010:

Hi nancysrainbow! Yes, I will post the recipe soon. Thanks you!

17. 17 junko said at 7:16 pm on December 3rd, 2010:

Hi fiona! I am glad you love Japanese cakes! This is one of the most popular cakes in Japan. Yes, I will post the recipe soon. Thank you!

18. 18 junko said at 7:16 pm on December 3rd, 2010:

Hi Angela. Thank you. I will post the recipe very soon.

19. 19 junko said at 7:17 pm on December 3rd, 2010:

Hi Joley. Yes, I will update and post the recipe. Thank you!!

20. 20 junko said at 7:19 pm on December 3rd, 2010:

Hi Cecilia. Thank you! I will post the recipe soon. I want you to try this cheesecake!

21. 21 Swee San said at 10:30 pm on December 4th, 2010:

wow, just found out your blog thru foodgawker!! i love your photos! good job ;)

22. 22 junko said at 7:51 pm on December 5th, 2010:

Hi Swee San. Thank you!!

23. 23 Phoebe said at 8:49 am on December 8th, 2010:

I made this kind of cheese cake a few times but it seems that it shrink quite a lot if you leave it in the cake pan to cool. Have you tried to take it out to cool ? Or, what do you advise me to do to avoid shrinking ?

24. 24 junko said at 5:43 pm on December 9th, 2010:

Hi Phoebe! Souffle is very soft and fragile when it’s baked. I’ve never taken out to cool. Avoid shrinking… Oh, did you try leaving the cake pan in the oven after turning it off (still warm inside of the oven)? Temperature goes down gradually and the cake doesn’t shrink that much, I hope…

25. 25 Phoebe said at 2:29 pm on December 10th, 2010:

I’ll try that. Thanks Junko.

26. 26 fanny said at 5:10 pm on December 14th, 2010:

such a beautiful cheesecake. xx

27. 27 junko said at 10:13 pm on December 15th, 2010:

Thanks fanny!!

28. 28 Phoebe said at 9:35 am on December 20th, 2010:

Hi Junko,
    I tried your suggestion and it worked !! Thanks again !

29. 29 Phoebe said at 10:42 am on December 21st, 2010:

Oops…forget to include my blog: http://www.passionbaker-phoebe.blogspot.com

30. 30 junko said at 5:58 am on December 22nd, 2010:

Hi Phoebe,

Great!! I am glad it worked. Your cake looks beautiful!!

31. 31 Grace said at 2:49 pm on September 11th, 2013:

Made this for my mom for her birthday! She is half Japanese and we all loved it! Turned our perfectly and so moist! Thank you so much!!!!